Prof. Krzysztof Kasiura (born in 1937) began his studies at the Faculty of Chemistry of the Warsaw University of Technology in 1953. After graduating in 1958, he started working in the Chair of Analytical Chemistry as an assistant, in the following years teaching laboratory classes in qualitative and quantitative analysis.
From the beginning of his employment, under the leadership of Zygmunt Marczenko, PhD, he conducted research on the determination of trace amounts of elements with the use of complex organic reagents. Spectrophotometric techniques were at that time the basic tool of trace analysis. The direction of the research was closely related to the needs of various branches of industry and economy. He was a co-author of numerous publications commissioned by analytical laboratories of metallurgical and machine industry and newly established electronic plants. At the end of the 1950s, cooperation between the Chair of Analytical Chemistry and the State Mint was established, which developed very well over a long period of time. Krzysztof Kasiura, MSc, skilfully combined teaching with basic research and applied research.
Krzysztof Kasiura’s doctoral dissertation, supervised by Assistant Professor Zygmunt Marczenko, concerned the study of mechanisms of complexing metal ions by thiazolylazophenol and the use of these complexes as the basis for spectrophotometric determinations at the trace level. After obtaining the PhD degree in 1966, Krzysztof Kasiura was appointed in the following year to the position of assistant professor. He completed a year-long postdoctoral internship at the University of Brno in the Chair of Prof. Lumir Sommer, which resulted in three publications.
Krzysztof Kasiura, PhD, continued his research on applications of organic reagents for spectrophotometric determination of trace amounts of elements and expanded on issues related to their group and individual separation. Techniques of ion exchange, sorption and liquid-liquid extraction were used for this purpose. Extensive scientific achievements from this research became the basis for the dissertation on the basis of which the Council of the Faculty of Chemistry in 1973 granted Krzysztof Kasiura, PhD, the academic degree of doktor habilitowany (DSc). In the same year he was appointed to the position of assistant professor in the Chair of Analytical Chemistry.
In 1978, four Institutes were established in the Faculty – the Chairs were named Departments. The Department of Analytical Chemistry became part of the Institute of General Chemistry and Inorganic Technology, and Assistant Professor Krzysztof Kasiura became the Deputy Director of the Institute for Science. In 1982 he was appointed Director of the Institute. During this period, he continued his research in the field studied previously, but gradually directed his interests towards the introduction of electrochemical methods.
In the years 1982-1984, during martial law, in the critical situation of the Faculty, he was elected by the Faculty Council to the position of Dean (by the decision of the Minister, the recruitment for the first year of studies at the Faculty of Chemistry was suspended). In this situation, he showed great skills and courage in finding solutions, which made it possible for the Faculty to continue to exist. Professor Krzysztof Kasiura’s organisational skills were used in the following years in the committees of the Senate of the Warsaw University of Technology and the Council of the Faculty of Chemistry.
After the revival of academic self-government in 1990, Prof. Krzysztof Kasiura at the request of the Rector, Prof. Marek Dietrich, was elected to the position of Vice-Rector for Science. His most important activities concerned the development of a new Statute of the Warsaw University of Technology, organizing financial management at the University both in the field of scientific research and teaching. The administrative structures of the University of Technology were reorganized. These difficult activities gave a solid basis for changes in the years to come.
In 1992 Professor Krzysztof Kasiura became the Head of the Chair of Analytical Chemistry and remained in this position until 2006.
Prof. Krzysztof Kasiura was presented four times with the Minister’s Awards; he received the Golden Cross of Merit and the Knight’s Cross of the Order of Polonia Restituta.
Prof. Krzysztof Kasiura died on 2 February 2023 in Biala Podlaska and is buried in the Biala Podlaska Cemetery.